Now Accepting Nominations for the 2014 Pan-American Advanced Studies Institute on Sustainable Urban Freight Systems (PASI-SUFS) August 3rd -15th, 2014
Nominations due: May 2, 2014
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is organizing the 2014 Pan‐American Advanced Studies Institute on Sustainable Urban Freight Systems (PASI‐SUFS) August 3-5, 2014. The PASI‐SUFS will bring together a select group of Junior Faculty, Post‐Docs and advanced PhD students conducting research on sustainable urban freight systems (UFS). The main goal is to develop a new generation of researchers and practitioners with a holistic view of UFS issues and their solutions that, ultimately, will bring about new paradigms of freight transportation research, education and practice that foster sustainable UFS. PASI‐SUFS is organized and supported by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute-VREF Center of Excellence for Sustainable Urban Freight Systems, University of South California-METROFREIGHT, Metro Universidad del Norte, Universidad de los Andes, the National Science Foundation (NSF), and the Volvo Research and Educational Foundations (VREF).
The main objectives pursued by this educational program are to provide PASI participants (i.e., advanced graduate students, post‐docs, and junior faculty) with:
- The opportunity to interact with senior researchers, and learn first‐hand how researchers from other countries approach UFS research.
- A solid understanding of the interplay between UFS, the environment, the economy, and its role in the betterment of local communities.
- The foundations for a lifelong search for excellence and appreciation for the work of researchers from other countries.
During two weeks in Colombia (Bogota and Cartagena):
- Senior researchers from the Americas, Europe and Asia will provide distinguished lectures on their research on sustainable UFS; and will spend time collaborating with PASI participants (Junior Faculty, Post‐Docs and advanced PhD students).
- PASI participants will provide presentations of their research on UFS and related topics.
- PASI participants will collaborate in the definition of a strategic development initiative that includes a long term agenda of research on sustainable UFS.
The PASI‐SUFS will provide to all participants:
- Accommodations in double occupancy rooms (for non‐local participants)
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch
- Internal travel in Colombia
Based on the specifics of each case, the travel costs of participants will be either: (a) fully funded (primarily from developing countries); (b) provided with a travel voucher up to US$750 for eligible travel related expenses, to be reimbursed once the PASI is over; (c) expected to be covered by participant’s home institution or other funding source. In order to broaden participation as much as possible, universities are encouraged, but not required, to co-sponsor their nominees. This will enable the PASI-SUFS to increase its impact and defray the costs of the participants who do not receive additional support.
Academic institutions are invited to nominate participants that meet these requirements:
- Be Junior Faculty, Post‐Doc, or advanced Ph.D. students conducting research on UFS or related topics.
- Be individuals with demonstrated leadership ability and the potential to conduct cutting edge research in transportation in the future.
- Be able to attend the PASI‐SUFS (August 3rd – 15th, 2014).
- Be willing to participate in the technical activities organized as part of the PASI‐SUFS.
To nominate participants, the advisor or supervisor must send:
- Candidate’s statement of interest (one page). At the top of the page, include: candidate’s name, name of the advisor, date of graduation (expected or actual), and contact information. The rest should include a description of the reasons the candidate wants to participate in the PASI‐SUFS.
- The candidate’s one page resume.
- A one page abstract of the candidate’s research topic with a discussion of the topic’s connections with sustainable UFS. This will be a critical factor in the selection of PASI participants. Priority will be given to candidates in topics closely related to UFS.
- A statement from the advisor or supervisor indicating whether or not additional funding will be provided to support the candidate’s participation in the PASI. In the interest of expanding participation as much as possible, the PASI organizers will welcome such cost share.
- Do you anticipate receiving any co-funding from your research/academic institution? If so, please provide further details of aid you will receive.
- Nominations must be received by Friday May 2, 2014, though early nominations are encouraged. Nominees will be notified of acceptance decisions by Friday, May 23, 2014 to ensure there is enough time to make travel arrangements.
For more details please contact:
Johanna Amaya, M.S.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
4037 Jonsson Engineering Center
110 Eighth Street, Troy, NY 12180-3590